“It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.”
– J.R.R. Tolkien
Climbing 25 peaks in the Sierra Nevadas of southern Spain, all over 3000m above sea level. Camping or bivvying in the Sierra Nevadas and doing…
Cycling the length of the Rhine, with my friend Alex, from source to sea – over 1200km and 16 days. How can I follow the…
Climbing the 3 highest peaks in Southern Ireland and cycling between them on a tandem! What’s this about? Everybody’s heard of the 3 Peaks Challenge…
Getting round all of Dartmoor’s tors by foot, self supported and wild camping. Distance 300km. What’s this about? No one has ever tried to walk…
50 days in Europe, 2276 miles cycled, 140 herons (don’t ask), 136 waves received, 87 midge bites, 83 performance enhancing pastries, 50 baguettes, 33 ice creams,…
Walking from the bottom right corner of the Lake District to the top left corner. In winter. What’s this about? There is no big story…
Start from your front door, with a map of your area. Cycle every yellow and orange road, spreading further and further as you go. The…
Yes, really, in November. It was 5 years after I did the training course. Some help if you’re thinking of doing the same: What to Expect…
Cycling from Penzance to Plymouth on a tandem The Route We took the train to Penzance and then started cycling back on Route 3.…
Young Members’ Tour
Long Distance Routes I have Completed
- Danube Cycle route from Passau to Vienna
- Loire Cycle Route (full length), France
- Jura Cycling Route, Switzerland – from Basel to Geneva
- The Rhine Cycle Route (source to sea) – EV 15
- Atlantic Coast Route EV 1 – from Nantes to St Nazaire and somewhere north of Nantes to Roscoff
- North Sea Cycle Route EV 12 – from Harwich to London (ish)
- Alpe Adria Cycle route – from Salzburg to the Adriatic Sea
- Wild Atlantic Way – from Cork to about Tralee, plus some off-piste!
And I’ve done bits and pieces of:
- Pennine Way
- South Downs Way
- West Highland Way
- Dartmoor Way
The places I’ve visited. Usually on a bike or in the mountains.
- Austria (Stubai, Innsbruck, Danube)
- Cyprus (Troodos)
- France (much cycling, Maritime Alps)
- Ireland (Southern Peninsulas, Reeks District, Ring of Kerry etc)
- Italy (Dolomites, Mercantour National Park, Lake Garda)
- Malta (inc. Gozo and Comino)
- Slovenia (Julian Alps and Triglav)
- South Africa
- Switzerland (Jura cycling route, Bern area, Rhine)
And of course the UK…
aka bits of my life.
- I once did a 20 mile cycle commute to work (and 20 miles back).
- There are weeks when I spend almost every day on Dartmoor through Mountain Rescue and Ten Tors.
- Once I walked 30 miles because I couldn’t be bothered to catch a bus.