I love adventures. Sometimes they’re fun in the moment, other times they’re more of the Type 2 variety… or possibly even Type 3. But something always compels me to keep going back. Here is a fairly comprehensive list of what I’ve done and where I’ve been… so far.
“It’s a dangerous business, Frodo, going out your door. You step onto the road, and if you don’t keep your feet, there’s no knowing where you might be swept off to.” – (Bilbo) J.R.R. Tolkien
The Kind of Adventures I Do…
I’m basically up for anything adventurous (except jumping out of planes, or off bridges with an elastic band around my leg). My main thing is mountains, but I love cycling as a way to see the world.
- Via Ferrata
- Wild camping (aka camping)
- Trail Running
- Rock climbing
- Winter climbing
Long Distance Routes I have Completed
- Danube Cycle route from Passau to Vienna
- Loire Cycle Route (full length), France
- Jura Cycling Route, Switzerland – from Basel to Geneva
- The Rhine Cycle Route (source to sea) – EV 15
- Atlantic Coast Route EV 1 – from Nantes to St Nazaire and somewhere north of Nantes to Roscoff
- North Sea Cycle Route EV 12 – from Harwich to London (ish)
- Alpe Adria Cycle route – from Salzburg to the Adriatic Sea
- Wild Atlantic Way – from Cork to about Tralee, plus some off-piste!
- The Two Moors Way (leading a group)
- Shropshire Way (Ludlow to Shrewsbury)
- Dartmoor Way
- Abbotts’ Way
- Lych Way
- Welsh 3000s
- Walkers’ Haute Route from Chamonix to Zermatt
And I’ve done bits and pieces or sections of:
- Pennine Way
- South Downs Way
- West Highland Way
- Snowdonia Slate Trail
- South West Coast Path
- Offa’s Dyke Path
- Hadrian’s Wall Path
- Cumbria Way
The places I’ve visited. Usually on a bike or in the mountains.
- Austria (Stubai, Innsbruck, Danube)
- Cyprus (Troodos)
- France (much cycling, Maritime Alps, Chamonix)
- Ireland (Southern Peninsulas, Reeks District, Ring of Kerry etc)
- Italy (Dolomites, Mercantour National Park, Lake Garda)
- Malta (inc. Gozo and Comino)
- Slovenia (Julian Alps and Triglav)
- South Africa
- Switzerland (Jura cycling route, Bern area, Rhine, Valais)
And of course the UK…
- Lake District
- North York Moors
- Yorkshire Dales
- Brecon Beacons
- Mid Wales
aka bits of my life.
- In a previous job I did a 20 mile cycle commute to work (and 20 miles back).
- There are weeks when I spend almost every day on Dartmoor through Mountain Rescue and Ten Tors.
- Once I walked 30 miles because I couldn’t be bothered to catch a bus.